1. In at least 25 words, describe your practicum.
My job shadowing required a lot of hard work. I fabricated an eighteen foot flatbed trailer which all of the welding was done by me. I used a mig welder, grinder, cutting torch, paint gun, and a ban saw that were all provided for me
2. How many hours over and above the minimum 7 did you work?
I worked seven hours on recorded but I did put a lot of hours into working that were not recorded. I had started the project earlier inthe year and started the job shadowing at the end of it
3. What resources did you use to complete this practicum?
Before my job shadowing I had obtained a little bit of knowledge about welding over time but I learned many more techniques and skills from my instructor.
4. Identify a problem you encountered while working on this practicum and explain what you did to resolve it.
One of the main problems that I encountered while working was what weld patterns to use in different positions and angles. After some trial and error I had learned when to weld a specific way at on the necessary angles and directions
5. Since this practicum involved independent effort on your part, discuss what time management skills you used to help get the job done.
I did a lot of planning ahead to make sure I was using my time adequately so that it would not interfere with my school work
6. List something(s) you have learned while doing this practicum.
I have learned many different things from my practicum but I think the most useful skill I learned was how to properly use specific welding patterns for specific job to insure that my welds obtained proper penetration and strength.
7. List three things (personal insights, satisfaction, self-awareness) you have gained from this practicum experience.
I obtained a great deal of personal satisfaction from completing the trailer. It was a lot of hard work and took a great deal of my time. I am very aware of what I can accomplish now instead of questioning my abilities and what I am capable of. I have learned a lot about what it takes to become a welder and about what goes into building a trailer.
8. If you had this particular practicum to do again, what would you change?
I would want to work on fabricating something ells so I can expand my knowledge about another project and learning what goes into making it.
9. Having had the experience of working on the Senior Project (I-Search paper and practicum, so far), what advice would you give to next year’s seniors?
Keep trying to learn more about what it is you want to do or the different aspects of the job instead of the basic understanding of what it is.
10. Assign yourself a grade for your practicum. In 25 to 50 words, justify this grade.
Justification: I believe I could have but in more hours instead of just the minimum. Over all I believe that I have learned a lot that will help me in the future and my assignment was more difficult than I had anticipated.